Nov 15, 2006

Urban Heart Studies II - VII




Here is a preview of the drawings to be featured in my show. I fell in love with this process from the very beginning. They represent the juxtaposition of the aggressive boldness and soft studied carefulness I want in my work. I began by laying out a large sheet of paper on the ground. Using a large mop-like brush I slopped on sumi ink and let it set. Days later, after I had escaped from any former ideas about what the original marks represented, I cut up the paper into 10 x 10 pieces. I spent a few hours on each one responding to the random marks covering each piece. I tried color on a few but wasn’t satisfied.

Finally, I can sit and draw something but still get all the randomness and accident I get from paint.

Franz Kline tekhnologia maybe?

No comments: